The Castle of Montegridolfo stands on the line that at the time demarcated the estates of the Malatesta dynasties of Rimini and the Montefeltro lords of nearby Urbino.
The beginnings of the construction of the Castle or better called Castrum are traced back to the 13th century when the locality was chosen as the home of the noble Gridolfi family. Within the Conca River Valley at this time, the two families vied for possession of territories.
Montegridolfo subsequently went through three centuries of alternating dominions. An emblematic example of these raids occurs when Nolfo, Count of Urbino completely destroyed the Borgo in 1336.
Reconstruction was by Patriarch Galeotto dei Malatesta in the following year. Quiet came only in the 16th century, that is, since when possession of the manor and the village returned permanently to the hands of the Malatesta family.
The name of the Relais Palazzo Viviani is due to the family that purchased, in 1801, the residence. Filippo Viviani, a nobleman from Urbino who had been appointed by Napoleon as Knight of the Iron Crown, together with his wife, loved to host friends in their splendid residence immersed in the quiet of nature. During the 1900s, the property passed into the hands of the Molaroni family of Pesaro, owners of the fine ceramics factory of the same name.
The restoration of Palazzo Viviani was a complex work that lasted about six years and was desired by a group of local entrepreneurs: Massimo and Alberta Ferretti of the Aeffe group, Vittorio Livi, Fiam Italia, moved and motivated by a common love for their homeland. The following restoration brought the Castle and the surrounding Borgo back to a modern dimension that does not neglect care for the ancient harmonies.
Thus, on June 24, 1994, Palazzo Viviani reopened its doors, or rather its "Clock Tower" overlooking the entrance to the village, still the same one built by the Malatesta family in 1338. The other element that has remained absolutely intact and original are the solid surrounding walls. For the restoration work, almost philological scrupulousness and finesse were used, for the major structural interventions as for the architectural and furnishing details, an extreme care.